Author Topic: Top trappist quads compared  (Read 1375 times)

Adam

• Road Captain
Top trappist quads compared
« on: December 26, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »
During the holidays, I did a side by side tasting with my bro in-law.  We compared Westvleteren 12, St. Bernardus, Chimay blue, Rochefort 10, and Allegash four.   We were also going to include La Trappe, but couldn't find a bottle in time for the tasting. 

Anyway,  here is my brief summation. The first 3: Westy 12, chimay, and st. bernardus are all very similar, but westvleteren is certainly the best. St. Bernardus is a very close second and is a solid substitute for the westvleteren.   (I had previously had the same opinion of chimay blue, but changed my mind after the side-by-side.)

Rochefort 10 has a very distinct difference compared to the others.   Specifically it has a very noticeable (black)berry flavor on top of the more traditional caramel notes.

The Allegash four is the outlier and has a personality of its own.  I had never had this beer before, but I found it fantastic.

that's it.   happy holidays

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 07:18:29 PM by Adam »

Ranger John

• Peg Scraper
  • Ranger John
Re: Top trappist quads compared
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 07:09:53 PM »
LOL, thought you were taste testin c h e e s e.......
2015 Yamaha FZ6R
1980 Yamaha MX 100

Adam

• Road Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 07:16:30 PM »
Oops!  I see how that could have been confusing.   I spelled rochefort wrong.  Plus,  trappist monks make cheese too!

Tremainiac

• Road Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 12:00:26 PM »
I thought we getting into quads/atvs.
Hey Mister... My sister has a Harley just like yours!

Capo

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 12:09:26 PM »
Blessed are the cheese makers.
Triumphs
Hondas
A Norton & A Ducati
And an old Moto Morini

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 10:16:59 PM »
Adam, I really want to want to thank you for the bottle of Westvleteren 12 you hooked me up with.  With the holidays and my work schedule over the last few weeks I didn't get a chance to crack it open until tonight. 

My initial impression was of how delicate it feels - I think "lacey" is the official adjective beer snobs use.  Up front there is a light fruity flavor, but that gives way quickly to the caramel maltyness.  Also, I found the alcohol to be a little more up front than I expected.

I agree that the Chimay and St. Bernardus quads are very close to the Westy12.  Not surprising about the St. Bernardus since they are closely related and I believe both use the St. Sixtus yeast strain .  There's no question that this is a top shelf abbey ale and definitely does justice to the Trappist seal.

My personal preference has always been the Westmalle Triple as far as Trappist ales go.  And La Caracole Nostradamus being my favorite non-Trappist ale in that style.  Allegash is also a great brewery - Capo and I shared a couple of pints Allegash White last week at a local pub!

Thanks again Adam!     
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Adam

• Road Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 06:52:49 PM »
glad you enjoyed it.   I also like the westmalle triple

This evening I wandered into the supermarket. I had forgotten that the chance of more than a few inches of snow always throws people into some sort of survival-mode pantry stocking frenzy.    So, I stood there on the line beside people with their arms and baskets packed with multiple loaves of bread, gallons of milk and whatever else they thought would give them an edge during the apocalypse.  I was holding a single 25 ounce bottle of ommegang abbey ale.   As I was leaving the store with my very own blizzard survival kit,  it occurred to me that I should have gotten more than 1...

anyway,    stay warm.   and best wishes for the new year

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 08:29:42 PM »
Yeah, what the hell is it with the bread and water thing whenever it snows?   Especially in the city, you can usually just walk down to the local grocery any time...

Anyway, Ommegang's abbey ale is great - try their Rare Vos, or Ommeggedon if you can find it...
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Adam

• Road Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 09:41:32 PM »
Yeah, what the hell is it with the bread and water thing whenever it snows?   Especially in the city, you can usually just walk down to the local grocery any time...

I'm just as confused as you are.   I walked by trader joe's earlier in the day and there was a line outside, in the freezing cold,  just to get in...... to buy groceries.  If you are that desperate, just go to a bodega and stock up on pasta and beans or something.  Why do you need trader joe's enough to spend half the day on a line.   I mean seriously these are the people to be afraid of when the shit really hits the fan because they seem to be barely rational on a good day.

Tremainiac

• Road Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 11:30:04 PM »
Yeah, what the hell is it with the bread and water thing whenever it snows?

First noticed this when we lived in North Carolina, it was bread and milk.
We assumed that was the mix to chink the logs in the cabin.
Down jackets and shorts. I asked a friend, wheres your long pants?
Said he didn't own any.
I arrived in February and they closed the schools 3 days before it 'might' snow.
Honest. They said the buses were diesels and don't run in the cold.  :o
The town did not own a plow or salter.
I had 12 people working for me and 1 said she saw flurries, and wanted to go home.
I said she should hang out and I'd teach her to do donuts... She was not amused... In the least.
I told her I was  kidding, Yankee humor dont you know, and she was free to go if she felt so strongly.
She said she needed to pickup bread an milk on the way home.
Swear!
Hey Mister... My sister has a Harley just like yours!

Capo

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 03:29:25 PM »
Imagine surviving a weekend in Brooklyn without some Trappist Quads, though?? Horrifying!
Triumphs
Hondas
A Norton & A Ducati
And an old Moto Morini

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 03:48:35 PM »
Imagine surviving a weekend in Brooklyn without some Trappist Quads, though?? Horrifying!

Now that's something I can understand!
-Valentino Rossi