Author Topic: Hello from Monroe  (Read 807 times)

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
Hello from Monroe
« on: August 13, 2015, 08:53:36 PM »
Hey guys.
I am a a returning rider.
Started again last year after not riding for nearly 25 years.
Spent my teenage on dirt bikes and used a motorcycle as my primary transport until I was 23.
Then work, wife, house and kids happened.
Now I finally have the time and money to ride again.
Love being back. :)
I ride every chance I get.
Looking to get into long distance adventure riding soon.
Anyone looking for a riding partner please contact me.
Thanks
Terry (Doc)
Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Capo

• Sr. Road Captain
Re: Hello from Monroe
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 08:30:05 AM »
Welcome Doc! Is that Monroe Township NJ? If so, you're not far from our Allentown / exit 8 of 195 meeting point for Sunday morning spirited rides. Stay tuned on the board and our FB page. Summer holidays and such have some of us otherwise busy, but it should be an active Autumn for NJRATS. See you soon.
Triumphs
Hondas
A Norton & A Ducati
And an old Moto Morini

ThruxNJ

• Road Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:00:55 AM »
Welcome Doc, I'm kind of where you were 25yrs ago now (married, 3 month girl & 20 month old boy) so you probably won't see much of me LOL. I did however just get back from a 4 day ride which included, Skyline drive, the back of dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway and the infamous Tail of the Dragon.

You can read about here https://canadianinvasion.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:09:56 AM by ThruxNJ »
1973 Honda CB750
1983 Honda VF750 Interceptor (Can I bring her back?)
2005 Triumph Thruxton
2014 Triumph Tiger XC

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 09:28:45 AM »
Thanks guys!
Capo, I don't know if I have retrieved the skills to be very "spirited" again, but will to try to relearn. With age come a little fear.
ThruxNJ , don't stop like I did, but be safe. I am planing on the Tail ride this fall.
Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 10:00:58 AM »
Hey Terry, great meeting you last week and glad you took the time to sign up here.  Watch the Short Notice Rides board for the mostly unplanned or spur of the moment rides (sometime notice is really short), and our longer and more planned out rides, like the Isle of Man trip or Rockies Rides, will be posted on the Events board.  As Capo wrote,  you're so close to our main stomping grounds that you will definitely find people to ride with.  Even though we do like to keep things "spirited", we are generally a more mature and experienced group so the squid factor is pretty low and there is no pressure to ride above your head.  That being said there should be ample opportunity to give your Monster a workout on our Sunday morning loop rides.    Take a look at the two pinned topics on the Announcements and Rules board to get a sense of our riding style and standard operating procedure.  The Bill-osophy board will also provide some useful and entertaining information from our club prez.  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:07:29 AM by John San »
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 03:19:46 PM »
Thanks John.
I'll check out the boards
I'll be riding in the Millstone area around 630pm today. I am there at least 3-4 times a week.
Sign me up for your next TT trip, that has been a childhood dream.
I will be checking this site daily.
If you know anyone looking to go to Vermont or Maine this fall let me know.
Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

ThruxNJ

• Road Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 03:29:13 PM »
Two ships in the night you and I. In prior years I would ride up to the Adirondacks and camp for the night then cross over into Montreal and ride the country side then head back down and take the ferry over Lake Champlain into Vermont and camp for the night. I would then head to Maine through New Hampshire and stay with a friend. I never made it out to Acadia which was something I always wanted to do.

Funny you just filled in my Monster spot. I recently sold my 2012 1100 Evo and picked up a leftover 14 Tiger XC.
1973 Honda CB750
1983 Honda VF750 Interceptor (Can I bring her back?)
2005 Triumph Thruxton
2014 Triumph Tiger XC

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 04:53:06 PM »
Its like a mirror image.
25 years ago when I was a poor college student with a cheap motorcycle, we used to ride up to lake George and camp.
Did not have the sophisticated gear there is now. just a cheap sleeping bag and a tent, saved money for the beer.
Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 10:44:39 PM »

Sign me up for your next TT trip, that has been a childhood dream.

You'll want to talk to Capo, our resident expert (although I'm getting pretty familiar after three trips in the last four years) for details.  If you're serious about going, I highly recommend doing it with us - we really know the ropes at this point.  We have the accommodations and bike rentals down, and know the best spots to watch from.  Check out this year's trip thread here:

http://njrats.com/index.php?topic=1856.0

Be sure to follow the link in there to Capo's Motorcycle.com article as well.   I'll be out on a loop and breakfast Sunday morning, so if you make it out we can talk more about it.
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 11:30:53 PM »
I'm 100% in.
I will talk to you on Sunday.
Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Capo

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 10:46:18 AM »
Doc, I'll need to get this sorted before Labor Day for bike and room reservations, talk to John, and if you commit, I'll work it out when I get back in town next week. Would be great to have you.
Triumphs
Hondas
A Norton & A Ducati
And an old Moto Morini

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 12:54:13 PM »
Thank.
I will talk to John tomorrow when we meet for the ride.
I am a definite. I am trying to get my brother to go as well.
He lives in Basking Ridge and is a novice rider.
Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012