Author Topic: From the Edge  (Read 2217 times)

Capo

• Sr. Road Captain
Re: From the Edge
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2015, 07:24:21 PM »
Still do! Only thing approaching my love of motorbikes is seeing live music. Upcoming shows: Luther Dickinson, Craig Finn, Light of Day event, Bruce's River show, and, a big one, David Gilmour at The Hollywood Bowl in March!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Triumphs
Hondas
A Norton & A Ducati
And an old Moto Morini

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2015, 08:41:50 PM »
The Gilmore show will be awesome. One band I always regret not getting a chance to see if Floyd. My favorite album of all time is Dark Side.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2015, 10:38:41 PM »
Saw ELP at the old Capitol Theatre in Passaic for the Brain Salad Surgery tour. Intense, still remember it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man Capo  you have seen some good shows .

That's funny, I don't remember much from 1979 - 1986 ???

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2015, 10:40:42 PM »
The Gilmore show will be awesome. One band I always regret not getting a chance to see if Floyd. My favorite album of all time is Dark Side.

the question is..... do you listen to it while watching the Wizard of Oz with the sound off?

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2015, 10:55:16 PM »

the question is..... do you listen to it while watching the Wizard of Oz with the sound off?
Yup. With some chemical help a long time ago

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Edge

• Chicken Strip
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2016, 07:22:56 PM »

Over 400 pieces of vinyl and 2 working turntables. Lots of imports, bootlegs etc. Wonder if I have the same Mountain LP?
If you are going to talk prog rock like Rush and Yes, how about ELP?

Saw Carl Palmer playing with Asia a few years back and was blown away.  How fast is he!?
Neil Peart may be technically 'near-perfect' and more inventive, but he's a slowcoach compared to CP.

Here he is with just a snare drum (I thought there was a better quality version than this, but you'll get the idea).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGAh41psYJ8
2012 Street Triple R

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2016, 11:09:56 PM »
That whole class of British drummers including Buford and White and Baker are awesome.

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2016, 11:14:06 PM »

Over 400 pieces of vinyl and 2 working turntables. Lots of imports, bootlegs etc. Wonder if I have the same Mountain LP?

Saw Carl Palmer playing with Asia a few years back and was blown away.  How fast is he!?
Neil Peart may be technically 'near-perfect' and more inventive, but he's a slowcoach compared to CP.

Here he is with just a snare drum (I thought there was a better quality version than this, but you'll get the idea).
After watching 3 or 4 ELP vids, about an hour, I came across someone doing ELP covers. You NEVER see someone doing ELP covers, so I thought I'd check it out.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7qujZpMHbA&feature=youtu.be . Not only is she F'N AMAZING (I think 18 years old in this clip) but she's BLIND! Her name is Rachel Flowers and she covers a lot of ELP, Satriani and has toured with Dweezil Zappa doing Frank's stuff.

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2016, 12:09:25 AM »

After watching 3 or 4 ELP vids, about an hour, I came across someone doing ELP covers. You NEVER see someone doing ELP covers, so I thought I'd check it out.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7qujZpMHbA&feature=youtu.be . Not only is she F'N AMAZING (I think 18 years old in this clip) but she's BLIND! Her name is Rachel Flowers and she covers a lot of ELP, Satriani and has toured with Dweezil Zappa doing Frank's stuff.
Even crazier, she does a Joe Jackson medley of "Night & Day II" playing BOTH the flute and piano AT THE SAME TIME! 8) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGzdVEnJdJE&list=RDTHoZ4TDeBi4&index=32
Keith Emerson "Piano concerto #1" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVgiaIJ31lY&index=9&list=RDTHoZ4TDeBi4 .... WOW 8)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:44:23 AM by Xtreme Ron »

Jimmers

• Cruiser
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2016, 08:37:25 PM »
Ok - time to join in

Saw Carl Palmer (with Keith Emerson and Greg Lake) during the Works Tour at the Garden - 1977. The tour they went bankrupt on, it had a full orchestra and chorus. Palmer showed that he was beyond a drummer - have only been mesmerized by a drummer twice - Palmer and the Works tour was Number one.

The second time a drummer did that - Bill Bruford - again at the Garden for the  ABWH tour - the whole garden was on it's feet (including Bruford - playing an electronic drum set)

And White - let's just say I have seen Yes over 7 times from 1976 (Relayer) through the 2000s. (Nassau Coloseum, the Garden ++ times, Jones Beach) Awesome - Awesome - Awesome - from the days of their intricate stage design (ala Roger Dean) through in the Round and just white lights (amazing what you can do with just spotlights though). White was good, Bruford awesome and Palmer a percussionist.

As for Floyd, have been into them since Dark Side of the Moon ---- think they actually went downhill post the Wall.

Definitely want to hear about the Gilmour show --- one of my all-time favorite Guitarists - though his solos all kinda sound like Dark Side - or is that because he wrote most of them.

So guess you guys just hit one of my older passions.

Look forward to see where this goes - interesting how there are so many progressive rock fans here.

BTW - in case you havent noticed, I usually don't ride with any music - Need to concentrate during the loops and I still like the serenity of the wind, road and ride. However, you should see what happens when I get the WHO cranked up while on the Bonnie (LOL).

jimmmers
2013 Bonneville
2016 Tiger 800 XRT

Keep Calm
and
Ride On.............

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2016, 08:46:44 PM »
Wow Jimmers. You been holding out on us.
I have never seen Yes in concert you lucky dog .

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2016, 09:36:06 PM »
Wow Jimmers. You been holding out on us.
I agree!

I have never seen Yes in concert you lucky dog .
I agree? ??? .... I don't remember much of the '80s

As for Floyd, have been into them since Dark Side of the Moon ---- think they actually went downhill post the Wall.
I feel the band ended when Roger Waters left.

BTW - in case you havent noticed, I usually don't ride with any music - Need to concentrate during the loops and I still like the serenity of the wind, road and ride. However, you should see what happens when I get the WHO cranked up while on the Bonnie (LOL).
I don't ride with music unless I'm riding alone. Groups need more attention, particularly at the spirited pace that we travel. The Who is one of those bands I can't listen to while riding, get too caught up in the music!

Edge

• Chicken Strip
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2016, 03:28:10 PM »
2012 Street Triple R

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2016, 05:47:12 PM »
That's me

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2016, 06:05:17 PM »
#9 still makes me crack up every time I think about it.   Brilliant speech!

- sent from my Moto X Android device.

Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi