Author Topic: 2017 Team Promotion Schedule  (Read 871 times)

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
Re: 2017 Team Promotion Schedule
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 11:44:39 PM »
Johnny, how often do you change racing slicks and are they changed in pairs? Whats the cost?

I haven't run slicks yet.  Been really happy with the Supercorsa SPs so far.  Most of the guys say that you won't be able to really exploit race compound slicks until you start running advanced pace.  Either way you don't have to replace as a set if you are sticking with the same model/compound.  I was out of sync all season with the Supercorsas, I just replaced the front or rear as needed.  The tires that are on the Daytona now are getting low though so after one or two track days I'll probably replace the pair.  Not sure if I'll stick with the Supercorsas or try something else.  Markbuilt only sells the Metzeler RaceTech RR tires, so if you're buying and mounting at the track they are the best way to go.  All reports are that they are excellent.  Also, keep in mind that the race compounds only work well at a very narrow heat range so you will really want to run warmers with them, and even then at a novice pace you might not be able to keep enough heat in them to perform well.  The street/track day tires like the Supercorsas and Racetechs perform well under a wider range of temps and heat up very quickly.  I'll be sticking with that type of compound in the early part of the season when the track can be pretty cold in the morning, and then maybe try more of a race compound in the peak heat of the summer.  You'll see that there are many more crashes in the morning at track days because guys just go balls out from the get go on a cold track with cold tires.  No matter how much they try to drill it into everyone's head at the riders meeting guys still do it.  My advice would be to stick with the Supercorsa SPs for at least the first half of the season.  You're going to be focusing on lot of other things for the first season, so best to not complicate it too much...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 09:46:35 AM by John San »
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 05:46:06 PM »
Well stated John. Even on the street, unless you are riding in 80 degrees air temp on a sunny day, there are some tires, such as Bridgestone Battlax, that I discourage people from using because of their narrow temperature range. As someone who rides year-round, I can't stress enough the importance of choosing the right compound for your use.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 07:48:10 AM by Xtreme Ron »

Don Da Loop

• Cruiser
  • Aprilia RsV4 2013. Life is Good living in the LOOP
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 12:54:41 AM »
Thanks for the info  ;)

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 11:06:05 AM »
Tire technology has come so far in the last few years that the stuff we are riding on the street with now is as good as what professional racers used just a few years ago.   Unless you go out there with a full touring or trail style tire, you'll be fine.   At our levels right now we can't really push a Supercorsa or RaceTech to its limits anyway.  Plus, I like the fact that they are easy to find.   Slicks and full race compound tires are harder to source on a regular basis.  With the Supercorsas the biggest advantage I found to warmers is that I have more confidence from the get go.  Before I used them I would take it real easy for the first couple laps because I was never sure if I had enough heat in them to start pushing.  Definitely can feel the difference in those first few laps.   Not absolutely necessary though.  Plus there's a "cool" factor to putting them on and off between sessions.   Makes me feel like I know what I'm doing, even though I really have no clue... 😂

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 07:00:26 PM »
If I keep the Versys for the track I will change the tires to the Supercorsa
Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 07:27:44 PM »

Yes, I think that would be a worthwhile investment just for the gains in confidence if nothing else.
-Valentino Rossi

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2017, 10:02:18 PM »

Yes, I think that would be a worthwhile investment just for the gains in confidence if nothing else.
That's what I was thinking.
Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 01:45:29 PM »
What do you guys think of the Dunlop Q3.
Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 07:11:28 PM »

I have no personal experience, but I don't think you can go wrong with them either.  Same league as the Supercorsas and Racetechs.  A lot of guys run the Dunlops for track days and swear by them.
-Valentino Rossi

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 07:34:31 PM »

I have no personal experience, but I don't think you can go wrong with them either.  Same league as the Supercorsas and Racetechs.  A lot of guys run the Dunlops for track days and swear by them.
Perelli does not make a Supercorsa to fit the rear of the Versys so I will have to go with the Q3.
Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 09:17:00 PM »
I guess you need a 160 for the rear on that bike?   You could try the Diablo Rosso if you want to go with Pirelli - those are designed for track day use as well.
-Valentino Rossi

Jamhar24

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 09:39:28 PM »
Also the power output of the 650 doesn't work on that type of tire.
LetsGoRIDDEN!!!!
2009 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys
2017 Kawasaki ZR900

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 10:04:40 PM »

Good point Jim - I wasn't even thinking about that...
-Valentino Rossi

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 10:09:06 PM »

Good point Jim - I wasn't even thinking about that...
Oh well. Back to the drawing board.
Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 10:20:58 PM »
I think you'll be ok with the Diablo Rosso.  Jim's referring to the others.
-Valentino Rossi