Author Topic: Dead Red traffic lights - NJ law allows pass-through?  (Read 290 times)

Edge

• Chicken Strip
Dead Red traffic lights - NJ law allows pass-through?
« on: January 13, 2017, 07:40:51 AM »
Saw this in Revzilla's 2017 piece.
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/new-year-brings-new-laws-for-motorcyclists?utm_campaign=1/07/2016%20-%20CT&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_term=Common%20Tread%20%7C%20Combined

"Dead red" laws, dealing with traffic signals that don't detect motorcycles, continue to be addressed nationwide. Pennsylvania and New Jersey, since last summer, have joined the list of states that allow motorcyclists to proceed through intersections in the event of a malfunctioning red light sensor. About half of U.S. states have enacted some variation of this law and I anticipate more will follow suit this year.

I haven't had a problem (that I've noticed) here in NJ, but I'm wondering how it works in practice.  How long do you have to wait?
2012 Street Triple R

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
Re: Dead Red traffic lights - NJ law allows pass-through?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 07:48:48 AM »
I don't wait very long.   At an unfamiliar light just 2 or 3 cycles depending on the traffic.  There are a couple of local ones that rarely sense a bike so after one cycle I just blow through - again depending on traffic.   Most of the time, unless it's late at night, a car will come along and usually trigger the green.  I have no idea what the actual law in NJ is though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 06:11:39 PM »
I try not to ride late night so usually not an issue but the turn from Rt130 on to my road is a problem and I blew through it and few times.
Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 07:55:26 PM »
I've heard that 3 minutes is the rule, time for two cycles of the light as no light (even a 3-way) is supposed to have more than a 1-minute cycle per direction. The ones that are sensor dependent are usually only 2-way in light traffic areas/times. If you are looking at a center lane left turn that is sensor dependent, hopefully you are not the first in line at heavy traffic times.

Capo

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 12:05:26 PM »
There's one by me, Allaire and Bailey's Corner Roads. Never changes for a bike, and no turn on red, so can't game it. Also, Conveniently located where the Wall Police Station is, so I use my judgement, but often go through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Triumphs
Hondas
A Norton & A Ducati
And an old Moto Morini

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 05:48:20 PM »
If I'm part of a group, I've been known to jump off and hit the button for the crosswalk to prompt the light change.