Linked Events

• 2017 Gathering of the Nortons: April 23, 2017

Author Topic: 2017 Gathering of the Nortons, April 23  (Read 1151 times)

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
Re: 2017 Gathering of the Nortons, April 23
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 12:30:17 PM »
It's getting better all the time. Better, better. Better.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 08:34:18 PM »
It's getting better all the time. Better, better. Better.
Side 1, track 4

Jamhar24

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 08:00:43 AM »
I'm in as long as it is not raining hard.  ???
LetsGoRIDDEN!!!!
2009 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys
2017 Kawasaki ZR900

Tremainiac

• Road Captain
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 05:42:37 PM »
Riding old school or new cool?
Hey Mister... My sister has a Harley just like yours!

Ranger John

• Peg Scraper
  • Ranger John
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2017, 09:02:01 PM »
New cool for me. Only cool I own
2015 Yamaha FZ6R
1980 Yamaha MX 100

Ranger John

• Peg Scraper
  • Ranger John
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 07:21:14 AM »
I'll be meeting everyone at the event
2015 Yamaha FZ6R
1980 Yamaha MX 100

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 06:04:28 PM »
I nominate Kevin for the ride report ;D

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 06:58:41 PM »
I nominate Kevin for the ride report ;D
Seconded. All in favor say Aay.

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

skis_tenfidy

• Peg Scraper
  • Time waits for no one and it won't wait for me!
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 10:14:30 PM »
Ok, it will be in the next issue of NJRats today the magazine about NJRats life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamhar24

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2017, 07:07:11 AM »
O can't wait for the next issue.  ;)
LetsGoRIDDEN!!!!
2009 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys
2017 Kawasaki ZR900

skis_tenfidy

• Peg Scraper
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2017, 04:09:59 PM »
The Annual NJRats kick off ride of the season “The Gathering of the Nortons” held in Washington’s Crossing Park, PA. Sunday, April 23rd.
The weather was clear cool and sunny with morning temps in the 45-47 degree range and roads were dry and expected high temp was around 67 degrees.
We met up at the usual meet up spot the Valero by Allentown. By the time I arrived at 8:20AM after doing half a reverse loop the core group was already mingling in the NJRats designated mingling area. There were the usual suspects John San on  his KTM1190, Capo on his Thruxton R, Jamhar24 on the Versys, Don Da Loop on his Aprilia RSV aka Rocketship,  Extreme Ron bike du jour the Ural, Terry Two Cakes on his Aprilia Caponard and me on my Sprint ST. After greetings and salutations we mounted up to make our way to the GOTN with Jamhar24 as the point man for the ride we slabbed it westward. The ride would not have been that interesting if it were not for the UnusUral and pilot Ron and watching him from the back of the pack with TTC I was able to observe Ron slickly maneuvering the machine on the exit/on ramp from 195S to 95S sliding almost all the way over to his right to the empty space of the side car. He handled with deft and precision and we will have more on that later. Jamhar24 took us down Rt.29 and we crossed over the Delaware to PA. just before 10AM and Capo took the lead into the main parking lot on his Triumph Thruxton R and the rest followed there were lots of ooh’s and ah’s for the Ural in all its khaki glory! We all parked and before you knew it here comes Ranger John with perfect timing on his Yamaha FZ6R and chaps a kimbo…he does not disappoint!
The event featured the cool old school to the modern and everything else on the spectrum see our Facebook page for the visuals. https://www.facebook.com/NJRATS/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
We all made the rounds around the event together and separately and before you knew it Jamhar24 was off at 11AM to a family commitment followed shortly thereafter by Capo he still had a 5 hr. ride to Ithaca for a Cornell visit with his daughter. There were 8 now there were 6 and after a few more rounds in the main lot and bumping into some familiar faces we mounted up to go to lunch somewhere upstream on River Rd. As we exited John San, TTC and Don Da Loop were mixed in with other groups also leaving the event so there was some separation of the NJRats me, Ranger John and Ron were bringing up the rear. As we rolled up River Rd. about 4 miles in the group of bikes ahead of me slowed down and as I downshifted I lost power and smelled smoke that was electrical in nature. As I slowly pulled to the side and the Sprint was dead no lights no pulse I couldn’t believe it. John San was just asking me how the bike was running at the show and I said fine (Rum and Coke no Jinx) oh well Sh*t happens. Ranger John pulled over in front of me and Ron pulled up just in front of me.
Ron’s roadside diagnosis was that it could be the rectifier but hard to tell with most of the electronics hidden behind the fairings there were no clear signs of the cause. Ron proceeded to call Triple AAA for roadside assistance and a good to know is that if you have Triple AAA but don’t have the RV qualifier on your membership then motorcycles are not covered. After waiting about 1 1/2 hours a flatbed showed up and we proceeded to load the disabled Sprint. Once we saw the tow truck driver off we were definitely ready for some lunch. We mounted up and I assumed the position of side car monkey. Having never ridden in a side car before or performed in this role I knew it would be nothing less than interesting but since we only went a mile or so before getting in to New Hope it wasn't any big deal. The Ural did attract eyeballs when we rolled down the main drag which was packed with everyone and their mother I waved to small children whose daddy's were pointing at us. We dined at John and Peter’s and had a good lunch and got to have a couple of beers since I wasn’t driving and plus I needed a cold one…or two!
Having filled our bellies the day was still young and it was time to get back on the road. So we geared up, mounted up and again I assumed the position in the flying chair and I just got to soak up the scenery and the responsibility of doing pretty much nothing but taking some photos and video. Admittedly I had no expectations whatsoever on how this second half ride would go but putting my full trust in Ron and seeing how he was piloting the rig solo down the highway I fully embraced the no responsibility role of ballast weight and I knew he would get us from point A to point B without any issues. We made our way out of New Hope and over to the Jersey side through Lambertville, Hopewell, Montgomery and Kingston. We made it through to South Brunswick on Ridge Rd. and that S turn there was interesting but Ron handled without an issue and my jockeys intact. The suspension in the Ural is pretty good but the kidneys still take a beating so Ron found a park with working restrooms we pitted and then back on the road. (Thanks Ron my back teeth were floating) We kept on our journey through the backroads of Cranbury, Monroe and to Millstone and Xtreme Machines to our amazement the flatbed was still there and the Sprint was still on the flatbed! Apparently the tow truck driver’s boss didn’t want him to just unload and leave the bike there without anyone to receive it. So we proceeded to unload and Ron showed the driver a trick to unload the bike by backing the bike to the end of the flatbed while it was level and running a strap through the front wheel with some tension on it. The tow truck driver then tilted the flatbed back and with Ron on the bike he let off the tension pulled the strap through and Ron backed off the bike safely and smoothly. Once it was dismounted we moved the Sprint to the safe confines of Xtreme shop.
Last stop was home where I left as a rider at 7:40AM and arrived back as a passenger 4:45PM! Many thanks to Xtreme Ron and Ranger John for not leaving me stranded with my now too often STranded Sprint. We will see what the prognosis is on Tues. or Weds.  Thanks to the fellas for adhering to the credo “Leave no NJRats behind” and for hanging when you could’ve, should’ve been riding it was a great day to ride or just be a passenger didn't think I'd be both.
On behalf of the group and ourselves I hope I passed the ride report audition!
Skis_Tenfidy

p.s. if you read this whole thing you must be bored get a life...lol

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2017, 04:28:52 PM »
Great write up Kevin. Sorry I missed the adventure.

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2017, 07:37:09 PM »
p.s. if you read this whole thing you must be bored get a life...lol

I waited a whole day for this! Of course I read it through! (Sharon was on the phone with her sister and I couldn't hear the TV) ::)

It's always fun to hear another's perspective on a memorable day. Great write-up!

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2017, 09:00:53 PM »
Great write up Kevin!  Really sorry about putting the whammy on the Sprint with my questions about how it's been running - my fault!

We got separated leaving the park and I knew there were a few cars and bikes between us, but after getting to the other side of New Hope, Don, TTC and I pulled over to wait.  I looked at my phone and saw texts from Ron and Kevin.  Called Ron and he gave me the story.  I carry an Antigravity Batteries XP-10 jump pack on the KTM, but after talking to Ron it was apparent that it wouldn't have helped in this situation.  After a call to Kevin we decided to continue on to Dilly's for lunch knowing that there was a flatbed on the way and Kevin had a ride back as ballast in Ron's Ural!
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

skis_tenfidy

• Peg Scraper
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2017, 09:23:32 PM »
I'm glad you liked the write up. I felt like a book report was due and i waited until the last minute. I hope there aren't any English majors out there secretly grading me and if there is grade me on a curve.
I liked the unusUral ride it was fun and I would recommend it to my fellow NJRats because it was a ballast and I can't weight to do it again...under different circumstances to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk