Linked Events

• Thunderbolt Track Day: July 17, 2017

Author Topic: Thunderbolt Track Day w/TPM - 7-17-2017  (Read 641 times)

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
Thunderbolt Track Day w/TPM - 7-17-2017
« on: July 05, 2017, 09:30:03 AM »
We're hitting Thunderbolt with TPM on Monday, July 17th.  So far it's me, Terry Two Cakes and Don DaLoop.  We have garage 119 reserved.  If anyone else is thinking of joining us let me know as soon as possible - we will probably need a second garage for four, as it's pretty tight with three of us in one.  Right now the adjoining garage 118 is still available, so I'll snag it if needed...
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Capo

• Sr. Road Captain
Re: Thunderbolt Track Day w/TPM - 7-17-2017
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 08:48:21 PM »
I'm in LA that week, hope to get a day or two in on The Crest, better to prepare me for hitting the track   In a few weeks time. I'll look at the late July dates, grab a few vacation days. I'll need the trailer hookup from one of you gents to get the bike either to the track, or to Markbilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Triumphs
Hondas
A Norton & A Ducati
And an old Moto Morini

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 09:18:39 PM »
I'm in LA that week, hope to get a day or two in on The Crest, better to prepare me for hitting the track   In a few weeks time. I'll look at the late July dates, grab a few vacation days. I'll need the trailer hookup from one of you gents to get the bike either to the track, or to Markbilt.

It would be great to see you on the track Andrew. As you said golf is for pussys. We have 4 for trackdays

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 10:18:07 PM »

Sounds good.  I'm also planning on Monday the 24th as well, so keep that in mind.  And I'm trying to get the full details on the Cross Country sponsored track day weekend at the end of the month.  If you can get the Daytona to me before the 17th I'll bring it down and drop it with Mark.
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Don Da Loop

• Cruiser
  • Aprilia RsV4 2013. Life is Good living in the LOOP
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 01:54:19 AM »
Track days  ;D :D ;) :) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Don Da Loop

• Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 02:10:16 PM »
Weather has cleared for Monday !! ;D Mount up ;)

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 02:49:34 PM »
Weather has cleared for Monday !! ;D Mount up ;)
I saw that. Let's hope it doesn't change again.

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 02:50:34 PM »
I have cleared up my office schedule for the 24th so I will be doing the track day

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Ranger John

• Peg Scraper
  • Ranger John
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 06:02:02 PM »
I am off the 24th so pehaps I'll check it out. Let me know details about costs, gear etc. Thanks
2015 Yamaha FZ6R
1980 Yamaha MX 100

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 05:56:55 PM »
John, typical track day is around $200 and then I think $20 for a suit rental for the day.  If you need boots or gloves they rent those too, again I think $20 for the day.  Since it's your first time you may be able to get a reduced rate, as they sometimes offer those to get people interested.  I think ACE will be offering a $99 special on the 24th.  Will check it out and let you know.  You will just need to tape up your lights, signals and mirrors but that is no problem to do there as I always have tape and tools with me at the track.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:06:27 PM by John San »
-Valentino Rossi

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 11:50:17 PM »
Don't forget leathers!

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 08:20:03 AM »
One correction, we've been moved to garage 116.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
-Valentino Rossi

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 10:59:51 PM »
Another great day at Thunderbolt.  It was a scorcher though - the heat and humidity really adds an additional challenge to an already difficult sport, but we made it through.  Me and Don on our Daytonas and Terry Two Cakes riding his GSXR600.  Attendance was light since it was a Monday, but it was a "combo day" so there was also a car group worked in.  At the riders meeting Glen explained that in order to get everybody the most track time they were going to combine Red and Blue groups (Intermediate and Advanced) to keep it to only 3 groups in the rotation including the cars and the novice bike group.  I like when they do this because it puts me with a bunch of guys that are considerably faster then me, so I can follow them around a little bit and maybe learn a thing or two.  Plus, I would get to ride with Don DaLoop who has turned out to be a true master.  Especially after taking the Yamaha class!  He's got a lot of knowledge and is turning out to be a great instructor as well!

Turns out combining the groups wasn't the best idea as there were some major pileups during our second session.  Sometimes some of the intermediate guys are just too green to be running with advanced.  A guy on a brand new Aprilia Tuono suddenly moved off his line unexpectedly just when an advanced guy was coming on hard for a pass and they collided and went down hard - like head  over heels, bikes tumbling in the air hard.  Don was right in the mix and saw it all go down and I came through seconds later to see bikes still tumbling and a giant cloud of dust.  :o There were also two other minor off track excursions during that same session.  I had my GoPro mounted in a new location on the front fairing and I may have some footage of all that.  I'll post some up when I have time to go through all the footage and upload it later in the week.

Right after that mess was a car group.  During that session, one of the vehicles (I can't remember what kind, but Terry probably knows) blew up or something and was on fire on the track!  Needless to say it was going to be a while before clean up was completed so they called for lunch break at that point.

When we started up again around 1:00 they announced that the intermediate and advanced groups were going to be split up and we would run four groups for the rest of the day.  Wise decision, especially with the heat and the large gap on skill levels between the groups on that day.

The rest of the day was relatively uneventful, with Don imparting knowledge and helping us improve our lines, breaking and body position.  Ultimately I ran way more consistent times plus brought my personal best down another full second.  Terry was using an Android lap timer app, and being able to set a benchmark and see his times start to go down really brought a new dimension to track riding for him. Plus having the new clipons installed and adjusted by Mark at Markbuilt Racing allowed him to get more comfortable on the bike. We're all starting to know Thunderbolt like the back of our hands so it's great to compare notes and techniques in each corner and section.  It really helps to keep us engaged throughout the day.

It's amazing how physical this sport is and by the end of the day my legs were like jelly.  The extreme heat and humidity didn't help either.  The last couple of sessions I knew exactly what I needed to change in a couple of sections (thanks to Don's expert analysis of one of my videos - thanks Don!) but I was just too worn out to focus at that point.  Can't wait to get back - I know I can take a few more seconds off my time in the second half of the season!   Let's go RATS!

I'll post some videos here in the next few days, so watch this thread!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:06:07 PM by John San »
-Valentino Rossi

Don Da Loop

• Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 12:49:12 AM »
Fast times and TEAM RATS doing it. 8) Watching all of us learn and progress is awesome!!!!!