Linked Events

• Thunderbolt Track Day: July 17, 2017

Author Topic: Thunderbolt Track Day w/TPM - 7-17-2017  (Read 642 times)

Capo

• Sr. Road Captain
Re: Thunderbolt Track Day w/TPM - 7-17-2017
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 01:05:26 AM »
Cool stuff. Make sure you get some great photos for the calendar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Triumphs
Hondas
A Norton & A Ducati
And an old Moto Morini

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 07:37:40 AM »
It was another fantastic day at the track. I just wish the weather was a bit cooler. The heat did beat me up.
Having Don as a personal coach is great. It really helped me to improve rapidly.  I started the day at a lap time of 2.11 and ended with a best lap at 2.05 but I know I had a few laps that were even faster but the lap timer malfunctioned and it was never recorded.
We should be back at Tbolt next week and I know that with John's and Don's help I can get into the 150s.
The car that blew up was a raced preped Chaterham Super 7.
Let's get more RATS on the track.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Jamhar24

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 05:59:16 PM »
Another great ride report John. Sounds like you guy's are really learning a lot. Hopefully everyone involved in the crash are ok. Be safe and enjoy guy's!
LetsGoRIDDEN!!!!
2009 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys
2017 Kawasaki ZR900

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 09:58:17 PM »
Here's a video of the last two laps of the second session on Monday.  I'm chasing some fast advanced guys - I go wide in turn 10 and couple guys zip by me on the outside.  This stuff doesn't really happen too much in my Intermediate group so I like when they merge the groups and I get to ride with these guys.  Don's in this group and he's somewhere up ahead way out of view.  Halfway through the second lap in the video in Turn 6, the slow left hander, is where the two guys collided,  You can see them laying there off to the right as I enter the corner.  The red flag comes out in turn 7, so I back off a bit then exit the track.  Coming back into our garage you can see Don backing his bike in and then Terry wheeling his out for his session.  I posted a 1:45 lap in that session and Don a 1:39 according to what we're saying at the end.  The GoPro is now mounted right on the front fairing using the left side mirror mounting holes.  I didn't really have a chance to tweak the video at all but there are tools to remove the slight fisheye look and apply effects etc, I just haven't had time to play with all that yet.   

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:33:13 PM by John San »
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Capo

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 01:14:11 AM »
Great vid! It's funny, I haven't been on that track in years, but the turns came back to me as I watched, particularly the approach to the lightbulb. Fun, look forward to getting out there when my travels are done.

Triumphs
Hondas
A Norton & A Ducati
And an old Moto Morini

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 06:26:02 PM »
Cool, then you will definitely be ahead of the game when you get out there.   
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Jamhar24

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 06:34:16 PM »
The video is awesome John.
LetsGoRIDDEN!!!!
2009 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys
2017 Kawasaki ZR900

ECR

• Chicken Strip
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 10:21:35 PM »
John, Nice clear video!

Your lines look decent in that video but need some sharpening on turning in and corner speed.
I think you could easily drop 3 secs. Are you on slicks or street tires??

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 10:56:04 PM »
Thanks for the feedback man!  That's exactly what I'm looking for.   Yeah, I know I need to be more aggressive on turn in and get right on those apexes - not a foot or two off like I am now sometimes.   Also, I'm still struggling through that tricky turn 10 sometimes and need to get more consistent there and coming out of the chicane as well.   I have a good plan for this Monday so we'll see if I can knock a few seconds off. 

I'm running the Supercorsa SPs and I really like them - they are very consistent even when they get down to the wear bars.  Next set I think I'm going to go with the Pirelli Superbike Slicks.  I run with warmers so I should be ok with them, right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

-Valentino Rossi

skis_tenfidy

• Peg Scraper
  • Time waits for no one and it won't wait for me!
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2017, 12:36:44 AM »
Enjoyed the video and I'll hopefully be on the track one day.

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2017, 07:28:56 AM »
There's no time like the present Kev!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

-Valentino Rossi

ECR

• Chicken Strip
Thunderbolt Track Day w/TPM - 7-17-2017
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2017, 10:09:51 PM »
From that video it looks like you just need to turn in earlier.

Supercorsa SP's are perfect plenty of grip
no need to go upgrade to full slicks unless you got stupid money to burn or your running at least mid 1:30's or something on street tires and cant go any faster. Then yes maybe go slicks,warmers,etc....
I mean I'm not even on slicks Im on street tires with no warmers nothing and I did a 1:36 last monday

Your having trouble on Turn 10 the left hander? Or 9 the sharp right?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:11:34 PM by ECR »

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2017, 11:16:14 PM »
Thanks, I'm planning on trying to turn in earlier on some of the corners this Monday - we'll see how it goes.   Sometimes the cones screw me up - they're really set up for beginners, so once you get to a certain pace you have to start ignoring them...

Both 9 and 10 give me some trouble and really the transition between them.  I know I have to keep it real tight coming out of 9 and draw a straight line to the entrance of 10 right where the curbing starts.  I'm still having trouble being consistent there.  Don's been helping out a lot with that section.
-Valentino Rossi

roccoaloe78

• Chicken Strip
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2017, 06:19:44 AM »
Here's a video of the last two laps of the second session on Monday.  I'm chasing some fast advanced guys - I go wide in turn 10 and couple guys zip by me on the outside.  This stuff doesn't really happen too much in my Intermediate group so I like when they merge the groups and I get to ride with these guys.  Don's in this group and he's somewhere up ahead way out of view.  Halfway through the second lap in the video in Turn 6, the slow left hander, is where the two guys collided,  You can see them laying there off to the right as I enter the corner.  The red flag comes out in turn 7, so I back off a bit then exit the track.  Coming back into our garage you can see Don backing his bike in and then Terry wheeling his out for his session.  I posted a 1:45 lap in that session and Don a 1:39 according to what we're saying at the end.  The GoPro is now mounted right on the front fairing using the left side mirror mounting holes.  I didn't really have a chance to tweak the video at all but there are tools to remove the slight fisheye look and apply effects etc, I just haven't had time to play with all that yet.   

A-W-E-S-O-M-E
2009 Kawasaki Z1000