Linked Events

• Thunderbolt Track Day: July 24, 2017

Author Topic: Thunderbolt Track Day - 7-24-2017  (Read 311 times)

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
Thunderbolt Track Day - 7-24-2017
« on: July 20, 2017, 06:28:51 PM »
Team NJRATS will be back at Tbolt on Monday 7/24!  That's myself, Terry Two Cakes and Don Da Loop.  Waiting for confirmation on the exact garage, but we should be in 117.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 06:30:23 PM by John San »
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Don Da Loop

• Cruiser
  • Aprilia RsV4 2013. Life is Good living in the LOOP
Re: Thunderbolt Track Day - 7-24-2017
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 08:03:07 PM »
7/24  >:( race face time!! Let's rock n roll

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 08:24:45 PM »
7/24  >:( race face time!! Let's rock n roll
Let's go!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 08:25:22 PM »
I just got confirmation from Roy - we have garage 116, just like last Monday.  I have the email to prove it in case there's any confusion like last Monday...
-Valentino Rossi

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 08:33:17 PM »
Awesome. Let's go RATs

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Don Da Loop

• Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 08:43:45 AM »
BECAUSE golf is for pussies ;D

roccoaloe78

• Chicken Strip
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 01:07:19 PM »
2009 Kawasaki Z1000

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 10:58:42 PM »
Ok - Sort of a strange day at Tbolt on Monday.  Started out with rain, thunder and lightning when I left my house.  By the time I met up with Terry Two Cakes in the Xtreme parking lot at 6am things had quieted down a bit and the forecast for Millville looked promising.  When we got to NJMP and met up with Don DaLoop the track was a little damp and a few drops were falling but it still looked like it was going to clear up, and it did!   Absolute Cycle Experience (ACE) was putting on this track day.  I've done quite a few with them over the last two seasons and have mixed feelings about the club.  This wasn't the best organized of their days I've been to, and all three of us felt that there were riders in our respective groups that shouldn't have been there.  Some generally erratic riding, some overly aggressive and some overly timid.  I guess the club doesn't have that much control over who pays and shows up for the day, but they could be a little more diligent about training, coaching and classifying riders.  This seems to be much less of an issue with Team Promotion.  Anyway it is what it is.

Getting out on track was kind of rushed as my group went out right after the riders meeting.  I didn't even have time to put the warmers on, but I figured the track was damp so I was going to take it easy anyway for the first session.  Even though I took it easy I felt like I was on ice the whole session!  I was sliding all over the place - WTF?  There were just some damp spots on the track, no standing water and I was on street/trackday tires, not race compound.  I pulled back into the garage and Terry tells me my tire pressure gauge is off!  They double checked with Don's gauge and one of the guys in the garage next door - mine was reading something like 6 to 8 pounds low, which means I was running 6 to 8 pounds too much air in my tires!  Holy shit, do not ever do this.  I was lucky that I was taking it easy and that I didn't put the warmers on - my pressures would have been even higher.  I got off easy on that one, but I'm kind of pissed because we're talking about a $100 digital Motion Pro gauge that was reading perfectly last week...    Anyway, once I set my pressures right things were back to normal.  After the first rotation the Sun actually came out and the track had completely dried out so we were good to go.  One casualty was a guy in the novice group out on his first track day with a brand new Thruxton R.  He tossed it down in his first session in the morning.  He was ok, but man I felt bad for that guy - such a gorgeous bike.

In between sessions the three of us had some long discussions about improving our techniques and lap times.  Don's got a lot of knowledge and instinct about going fast at the track and gave me a few ideas and tips on things he thought would get me a few seconds.  During the previous session a coach had me follow him for a few laps at a speed just out of my comfort zone and I was able to stay with him pretty well, so I had some extra confidence to push harder on the next session using Don's advice.  I drove harder between corners and carried more brake to the apex and what do you know?  Three of my best laps ever!  Previous best was 1:45.5, that session I turned in a 1:43.0 and a couple of 1:44s!  Almost 10 seconds faster than I was at this point last year and I know I can still do better.  After that the rest of my sessions were plagued with tons of traffic and a few red flags that never let me get some good runs in.  That's ok though I now know what I need to do to get to the next level.  Thanks Don!

Don pulled his best down to a 1:36, but he's hitting a little bit of a plateau at this point and going faster is going to take some more effort.  I think it might be time for some race slicks at his pace and that might get him a few seconds more.  Pretty soon he's going to be learning a new bike when his race prepped R6 shows up.  I think that will open up some new doors for Don!

Although Terry Two Cakes was struggling with getting the Android lap timer to record properly he's definitely getting more comfortable on the GSXR and knocked at least 3 seconds off his best.  Maybe more, but not all of his sessions got recorded properly.

Team NJRATS is really doing great this season.  Unfortunately, August looks a little sparse as far as available track dates but we will be posting up some future dates for August, September and October to finish out the season.  Still plenty of time to join team NJRATS!

I only had my camera on for one session.  Check out this clip.  I'm passing the guy on my left as we brake into turn one and this ass hat stuffs it in from my right.  This guy was close - way too close for Intermediate group.  You can see his bike chattering from how hard he's braking - I was breaking even harder to not touch him.  I had to over beak so much I was worried about the guy to my left coming through.  You're supposed to leave at least six feet for passing in Red - my pass on the guy to my left was totally legal, but the guy on my right was literally inches away.  This does not normally happen and if a coach saw it the guy would have been tossed.  That shit will spike your adrenaline though.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:20:04 PM by John San »
-Valentino Rossi

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 11:31:15 PM »
Great write up John. I need to sort out the lap timer issue. It's very frustrating not to have the laps you know we're fast never recorded.
Hopefully by the next track day it will be all good.
The tire temperature problem was scary. Just goes to show we should always double check everything.

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Don Da Loop

• Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 12:36:53 AM »
Another fun day ;D

Jamhar24

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 01:00:15 AM »
As usual great report John. Good to always double and even triple ck. And yes that asshole was way to close for a track day. It looked like he thought it was a race.
LetsGoRIDDEN!!!!
2009 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys
2017 Kawasaki ZR900

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 02:03:09 AM »
That wasn't "the angel of death" was it?

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 08:57:07 AM »
Great write up John. I need to sort out the lap timer issue. It's very frustrating not to have the laps you know we're fast never recorded.
Hopefully by the next track day it will be all good.
The tire temperature problem was scary. Just goes to show we should always double check everything.

Yeah, thanks for double checking the gauge while I was out - could have been a disaster.   Because of the damp track and no warmers I wasn't even thinking tire pressure until I came back in.  A good lesson in how important correct tire pressure is for a track day!  Motion Pro customer service is getting a call from me this week, but I'll be bringing two gauges from now on...

-Valentino Rossi

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 08:58:38 AM »
That wasn't "the angel of death" was it?
No, Jerry can't ride like that. 

-Valentino Rossi

Jamhar24

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 09:15:34 AM »
If that was Jerry on the track he probably would have crashed. He is the angel of death!
LetsGoRIDDEN!!!!
2009 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys
2017 Kawasaki ZR900