Linked Events

• NJRATs Track Day @ Tbolt: September 18, 2017

Author Topic: **Date Change*** Tbolt Track Day - 9-18-2017  (Read 694 times)

Don Da Loop

• Cruiser
  • Aprilia RsV4 2013. Life is Good living in the LOOP
Re: Thunderbolt Track Day - 9-17-2017
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 08:17:31 PM »
That sucks for the crew >:( I'm in for the 18TH and the following weekend 23rd-24th or 25th.

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
Re: **Date Change*** Tbolt Track Day - 9-18-2017
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2017, 10:06:13 PM »
Well it was a bummer that Sunday the 17th was cancelled, but we made the best of it with a great track day on Monday.  Don and I were joined by Capo and Kevin this time, with Kevin getting his first taste the track on his Triumph Sprint.  Capo and I had our Daytonas of course, and even though Don brought his Daytona the real story was the debut of his new R6 superbike build.  No corners were cut on this dedicated race bike - Ohlins brand new top of the line suspension, Brembo monoblock brakes and master, shaved and balanced crank, race ECU, detailed dyno tuning, and the list just goes on... 

It was a little drizzly in the AM but never enough to even get the track damp, so no problems there.  It was perhaps the least crowded track day I've ever attended, which I think worked out well for us.  They merged the red and blue groups into one, ran a single novice group, and then a car group (yuck).  I personally like when they merge the red and blue groups.  Since I am on the verge of moving up to blue it really helps to get to run with those guys and try to sharpen my skills to keep up.  It does get a little hairy sometimes though - I was passing a guy on the inside coming over Wheelie Hill and maybe a was a little closer than the required five feet, but not by much, when a guy comes through between us and bangs into the left side of my bike!  This is at 90 to 100mph as we're starting to brake into turn 4!  Luckily our bikes didn't get tangled and no one went down, but it was a little scary.  The guy was way too aggressive for a track day.  He did look back after we got through the corner and put his left hand up in a customary "I'm sorry" wave, but I was still a little pissed.  All part of the game though.  I didn't improve on my personal best at all, but I did run very consistently in the 1:41 - 1:42 range so I know it's just a matter of time before I hit that sub 1:40 benchmark.

Don spent most of the day getting used to the new Yamaha, but pretty much was able to run his normal mid-1:30s pace right off the bat, which says a lot for both the bike and his riding skills.  I think he's just a track day or two away from knocking a few seconds off his pace with the new R6.

Kevin and Capo did great learning the track and feeling out the tricky spots like the turn 4 and 5 section and the tough turn 9 into 10 transition.  It definitely takes time to put it all together but it feels great when it all starts coming together.

We're looking at finishing out the season with a few more track days in October.  Will post up the dates as we get them on the schedule.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:28:00 PM by John San »
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 11:09:25 PM »
Looks like I missed a great day. Nice write up John. Let's make this a regular thing.
I am sure Kevin is already looking for a dedicated track bike and Capo looks like he is hooked too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2017, 11:49:23 PM »
Looks like I missed a great day. Nice write up John. Let's make this a regular thing.
I am sure Kevin is already looking for a dedicated track bike and Capo looks like he is hooked too.

Yeah man, we missed you Terry.  It was a fun day - looking forward to getting another one together in October.  Trying to get as many NJRATS hooked as possible for next season!
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Capo

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2017, 07:25:09 AM »
It was definitely a fun day, and a nice, uncrowded environment. I focused on consistency and trying out different line, gear, braking and other elements, followed coaches, observed and took mental notes.

The Daytona was delightful, Never missed a beat. One little slide caught my attention, but I refocused. I improved each session, became more consistent, and ended up with a string of decent laps in the 2:02 range, finally ending up with a 1:59, which I suppose isn't bad for my first real track day. Looking forward to the next one, prob mid- October for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Triumphs
Hondas
A Norton & A Ducati
And an old Moto Morini

Don Da Loop

• Cruiser
  • Aprilia RsV4 2013. Life is Good living in the LOOP
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2017, 08:54:45 AM »
Another fun one, looks like the team is growing! 8)

skis_tenfidy

• Peg Scraper
  • Time waits for no one and it won't wait for me!
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2017, 11:23:24 AM »
I had a great time and really got to see what the Sprint could do and couldn’t do. I basically can do anything it’s the operator that was the deciding factor. I don’t think I pushed myself or the bike to it’s last limits but that was not the intent at this juncture. Fun was a goal and fun was had so mission accomplished. I took my GoPro on a few of the sessions and I’m analyzing my lines of entry and exit. The videos are kind of deceiving since it the speed somehow for some reason doesn’t translate compared to being on the bike. But video is a good tool and I think I’ll be better prepared to challenge myself as a rider and the machine. It was as always great to hang with John, Capo and Don on my first track day and I look to many more down the road now that I have one under my belt.

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2017, 06:55:03 PM »
Great to have you out there Kevin!  It definitely takes a bit of work to get it right, plus you need to become familiar with the track which also takes some time.  No one goes out there and just tears it up - it even took Don a few track days before he started dragging his knees!  Looking forward to seeing you out there again before the end of the season.
-Valentino Rossi

skis_tenfidy

• Peg Scraper
  • Time waits for no one and it won't wait for me!
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2017, 09:37:29 PM »
It was great to be out there and discover what “Track Day” is all about and having fellow Rats out there definitely helps. I’m looking forward to getting out there before the end of the season on one of the late October dates.