Author Topic: Monster Mash!  (Read 446 times)

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
Monster Mash!
« on: August 19, 2017, 06:22:58 PM »
Rear ended this morning on the Monster.  Was on Elton-Adelphia Road stopped behind a couple of cars waiting to make lefts into the Dunkin Donuts/Acme parking lot.  Guy behind me wasn't paying attention and smashed into me launching me over the bars and into the SUV in front of me.  I did a complete somersault in the air, hit the back of the SUV and landed on my right knee, right hand and smashed the right side chin bar of my Shoei into the tarmac.  Miraculously, I was on my feet in seconds with hardly a scratch.  Feel like I took a left hook to the jaw since the inside of the helmet came in contact with my face but that's it.  Part luck, but a large part in wearing the proper gear and being in good shape.  Staying limber is probably the best way to avoid minor injuries.  I may have a different perspective when I wake up tomorrow morning - will have to wait and see... 

Guys - invest in quality gear and wear it all the time.  The armor in my trusty BMW City2 pants saved my knee and the gloves saved my hands.  I don't even need to mention what wearing a full face helmet saved me from...

Unfortunately, the Monster didn't fare nearly as well.  The left side of the frame is sheared completely in half and the right side is twisted.  Right fork tube appears bent and maybe swingarm as well since the front of the car ran up on the rear wheel and up underneath the seat which catapulted me over the bars.  I think it will be a total write off, but we'll see what happens when the insurance agent looks at it next week...

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 09:46:41 PM by John San »
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Jamhar24

• Sr. Road Captain
Re: Monster Mash!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 07:31:35 PM »
Hopefully your ok post up in am
LetsGoRIDDEN!!!!
2009 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys
2017 Kawasaki ZR900

Capo

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 09:24:26 PM »
Such a bummer but we're all thankful you can write about it. Give us status updates. RIP Monster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Triumphs
Hondas
A Norton & A Ducati
And an old Moto Morini

Don Da Loop

• Cruiser
  • Aprilia RsV4 2013. Life is Good living in the LOOP
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 10:59:42 PM »
WOW >:(

skis_tenfidy

• Peg Scraper
  • Time waits for no one and it won't wait for me!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 12:45:47 AM »
Glad to hear that you are okay and I hope it stays that way. What was the guys excuse? The "I never saw him officer"

Ranger John

• Peg Scraper
  • Ranger John
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 09:00:28 AM »
Glad you're ok John. Whew
2015 Yamaha FZ6R
1980 Yamaha MX 100

Ranger John

• Peg Scraper
  • Ranger John
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 09:17:32 AM »
And all the skills honed during track days are no help at all on the street when your a siitin duck stopped in traffic.
2015 Yamaha FZ6R
1980 Yamaha MX 100

roccoaloe78

• Chicken Strip
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 11:00:48 AM »
What a shame!!! Thank God you are ok. Motorcycles can always be fixed or replaced. F&@)(;@ distracted asshole driver. One to too many of them.
2009 Kawasaki Z1000

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 11:21:10 AM »
Such a bummer but we're all thankful you can write about it. Give us status updates. RIP Monster.

Thanks.   Adjuster coming next week to determine the Monster's fate...
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 11:25:26 AM »
Glad to hear that you are okay and I hope it stays that way. What was the guys excuse? The "I never saw him officer"

Yeah, guy said he looked away for a second and when he turned back he was right on top of me.  Who knows he could have been on his phone or whatever, but it did happen quick.  As soon as we made the right turn the woman two cars up decided she wanted to make a left into the DD parking lot.  Her lane position was crap - still mostly in the center, plus the SUV behind her moved to the right to plug up my escape route.  The second my foot touched the ground I was launched over the bars.  Didn't even get a chance to look in my mirror.
-Valentino Rossi

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 12:10:23 PM »
Glad you are okay. The bike can obviously be replaced. Make sure the adjuster replaces all your gear as well!

skis_tenfidy

• Peg Scraper
  • Time waits for no one and it won't wait for me!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 04:37:04 PM »
Replacement of gear would have been nice to know. Know what your entitled to and always ask.

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 04:43:50 PM »
Glad you are okay. The bike can obviously be replaced. Make sure the adjuster replaces all your gear as well!

Yeah, thanks for the tip Ron.  I was at Xtreme yesterday afternoon right after it happened but you were busy so I didn't get a chance to talk to you.   The front right chinbar of my new X-14 hit the deck and got scraped up (and seriously protected my face in the process), is it legit for me to push for replacement of that?  I'm planning to push for that when I talk to the adjuster next week.  The language in my policy refers to any damaged certified protective gear, so it should all be covered.
-Valentino Rossi

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 04:46:58 PM »
What a shame!!! Thank God you are ok. Motorcycles can always be fixed or replaced. F&@)(;@ distracted asshole driver. One to too many of them.

Yeah, thanks Rocco.   I feel much safer when doing 130mph at the track these days then just sitting at a stop on the street!
-Valentino Rossi

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 05:06:48 PM »
And all the skills honed during track days are no help at all on the street when your a siitin duck stopped in traffic.

That's true in this situation.  I've been thinking about how I could have avoided this and the best way would be to not have placed myself there in the first place.  Not an easy task.  There was oncoming opposing traffic to my left and my escape route to the right was blocked by the vehicle in front of me.  If I could have somehow anticipated the left turning car I could have waited at the intersection until the coast was clear.  Or maybe I could have moved all the way to left on top of the double yellow and hung out there, but I don't think that would have felt much safer.  Problem is that the road is narrow there and there is a guard rail on the right.  Luckily, I was right at the point where the guard rail ended so I got thrown forward past it and intentionally rolled to my right on to the grass as soon as I made contact with the ground.  I was worried that the car behind me was still coming and I didn't want to get squashed...    When I looked back at my bike laying in the road I was surprised how far I got thrown.   :-\   
-Valentino Rossi