Author Topic: Monster Mash!  (Read 444 times)

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
Re: Monster Mash!
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 05:49:15 PM »
Just read this as I was not keeping up on the forum. Glad to hear you are okay.
Must have been scary as hell.
100% agreed about the gear.
I don't think you could have done anything to avoid it and the roll was some sharp thinking.
If anything is still hurt go get it checked out. Soft tissue injuries can be tricky.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 06:22:33 PM »
Glad you are okay. The bike can obviously be replaced. Make sure the adjuster replaces all your gear as well!

Yeah, thanks for the tip Ron.  I was at Xtreme yesterday afternoon right after it happened but you were busy so I didn't get a chance to talk to you.   The front right chinbar of my new X-14 hit the deck and got scraped up (and seriously protected my face in the process), is it legit for me to push for replacement of that?  I'm planning to push for that when I talk to the adjuster next week.  The language in my policy refers to any damaged certified protective gear, so it should all be covered.
The vast majority of MC policies have coverage for protective gear. ALL protective gear is covered as long as it is designed for protection in a motorcycle accident. Levis do not fall into this category, neither do skid lids. A bomber jacket would not be covered unless it came with knee & elbow pads.
I see a lot of guys keep jackets or gloves because there is only a light abrasion. My advice is to replace it all. You don't want to find a weak spot the next time around.
A good number of policies limit gear coverage to $1,000. Make sure you have receipts for your stuff or quotes for a comparable model. Elisa will work with you to make the most of the settlement.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 06:29:03 PM by Xtreme Ron »

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 06:30:14 PM »
If anything is still hurt go get it checked out. Soft tissue injuries can be tricky.
I second that!

ECR

• Chicken Strip
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 08:40:22 PM »
Holy just saw this! Glad your ok

Gear coverage? Who cares you got hit from behind with a car your gona get every penny back plus more especially for your damaged gear. Hope your going lawsuit on this. Will you still make the 27th at NJMP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2017, 09:03:20 PM »

Gear coverage? Who cares you got hit from behind with a car your gona get every penny back plus more especially for your damaged gear. Hope your going lawsuit on this. Will you still make the 27th at NJMP?

Thanks man.  I'll be talking to some people next week to suss out my options.  I'm not very litigious by nature and it appears that I am relatively uninjured, so we'll see what happens.  Yes, as of right now I'll be at the track next Sunday.  I rode out on the Aprilia this morning to meet Don and Jim for breakfast and all seems fine so it should be a go. 
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 09:45:34 PM »

Gear coverage? Who cares you got hit from behind with a car your gona get every penny back plus more especially for your damaged gear. Hope your going lawsuit on this.
Unfortunately, it doesn't always work that well. The vast majority of drivers are under-insured and you have to rely on your insurance. I have known people to attempt to sue in a similar situation only to find the other driver not only didn't have adequate insurance to cover a lawsuit, but didn't have adequate assets to make a lawsuit (and years of waiting) to make the ordeal worthwhile.

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 10:10:37 PM »
Just read this as I was not keeping up on the forum. Glad to hear you are okay.
Must have been scary as hell.
100% agreed about the gear.
I don't think you could have done anything to avoid it and the roll was some sharp thinking.

You know, it all happened so fast I didn't have time to be scared.  Just went into survival mode and then was very angry once I realized I was in one piece.  But even that only lasted for a few minutes.  I was way calmer than the guy who hit me or the women that got out of their cars to help. I think I was just relieved that I still had all my parts.    I kept waiting for the adrenaline to wear off and the pain to set in, but that never really happened.   36 hours later I'm still waiting, so I think that's a good sign...
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 09:57:16 AM »
Thanks Terry!  Yeah, the race ECU should be salvageable.  The bike ended up on it's right side, so both the pipe and the carbon fiber cans got dinged up.  Might still be functional, but it doesn't look great.  That Termi exhaust was a nice piece of kit! I hid the bike behind the Aprilia in the garage for now - I don't even want to look at it.   A lot of how I proceed will be determined by the insurance settlement...
-Valentino Rossi

Tremainiac

• Road Captain
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 11:49:51 AM »
Damn John! Did you get checked out by a doctor? You want to be sure something doesn't come up later. The guy who hit you, I assume was ticketed.
I don't think I have the ability to recover so quickly anymore, or be so forgiving.
You might consult a lawyer prior to hitting the track if there's a law suit involved.
Hey Mister... My sister has a Harley just like yours!

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 08:42:28 PM »
Damn John! Did you get checked out by a doctor? You want to be sure something doesn't come up later. The guy who hit you, I assume was ticketed.
I don't think I have the ability to recover so quickly anymore, or be so forgiving.
You might consult a lawyer prior to hitting the track if there's a law suit involved.

Yes, he was ticketed.  No question as to who was at fault here - he admitted it in his statement to the officers on the scene.  The police report won't be available until next week, but my adjuster has already requested a copy from the township.  I have an appointment with my orthopedic guy, basically on request from my insurance company, but I don't really have anything to show him except for a light bruise on the inside of my left knee.
-Valentino Rossi

Capo

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 09:57:40 PM »
You should walk up and down Main Street in Freehold in a bathrobe, mumbling and barking, for a few days. I see a settlement.

Triumphs
Hondas
A Norton & A Ducati
And an old Moto Morini

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 10:17:12 PM »
You should walk up and down Main Street in Freehold in a bathrobe, mumbling and barking, for a few days. I see a settlement.

Yeah, except I'd blend right in doing that out on Main Street!
-Valentino Rossi

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2017, 03:46:12 PM »
Man, insurance co sent a wrecker to pick up the Monster today.  It was unceremoniously dropped on it's side, grabbed by meat hooks attached to rusty chains like something out of Hellraiser, and reeled up onto the back of a flatbed.  Hard to watch after the way I took care of that bike.  Glad I never got around to the $1200 Desmo valve check and belt replacement this year.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:49:29 PM by John San »
-Valentino Rossi

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 05:36:05 PM »
That looks awful. It deserved better. Should have had a proper burial.

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012