Author Topic: K&N Oil Filter Recall  (Read 147 times)

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
K&N Oil Filter Recall
« on: September 15, 2017, 09:44:41 PM »
K&N has issued a recall on certain KN-204 oil filters.  This is the model that fits most Triumphs - I've been using them on the Daytona.  I have one left on the shelf in the garage - it doesn't fit into the affected range but I still don't think I will use it.  I know a few people who have had these fail around the welded on nut and dump oil all over the rear wheel.  Not something I want to happen on the track!  Check em if you got em!

https://www.knfilters.com/recallkn204
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Jamhar24

• Sr. Road Captain
Re: K&N Oil Filter Recall
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 05:46:10 AM »
I only use factory filters on everything I own. I look at it like this the motor is made by the manufacturer so I want the same filter made to factory specs. I've never had a failure!
LetsGoRIDDEN!!!!
2009 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys
2017 Kawasaki ZR900

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 07:41:54 AM »
I agree with you on that, however on some bikes I've had the filter was in a location where it was impossible to get normal filter wrench on it.  I started buying the K&N ones because they have the 17mm nut welded on to the end so they are easy to remove - plus K&N used to have a great reputation.  Not worth the risk now. On the Daytona access isn't a problem, so it will be easy to go back to OEM.  I'll just have to use a hose clamp for safety wiring now.
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 10:25:56 AM »
I used to use the K&N filter on the Monster but the last oil change I switched back to the OEM after the one I put on the Versys started leaking.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Edge

• Chicken Strip
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 01:03:17 PM »
Hmmnnn.  Just on my way to buy a new one.  Think I'll replace like-for like with OEM.
2012 Street Triple R

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 09:51:18 PM »
Hmmnnn.  Just on my way to buy a new one.  Think I'll replace like-for like with OEM.

Yeah, good idea.  On the Triumphs the filter is pretty accessible, so the welded-on nut isn't much of a benefit anyway.  Not worth the risk....
-Valentino Rossi