Author Topic: Packing list  (Read 1630 times)

Shaun Nelson

• Peg Scraper
Packing list
« on: April 26, 2011, 01:48:56 PM »
It got brought up in the parts and mods section. Things I'm going to bring that could be a help to other people. So that I'm bring raingear is not on here.

On Bike at all times:

Multimeter
Electrical scissors and Tape.
Dielectric grease
10 gauge wire
Lighter socket with SAE pigtail.
iPhone Charger.
Motion Pro Pocket Metric
Adjustable crescent wrench.
Small gauge jumper cables. (motorcycle sized)
Small first aid kit.
2inchs of 5/16 fuel and two clamps.
Leatherman.
Tire Air pressure gauge
Blue Threadlock

Anything you guys think I might be missing?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 02:29:03 PM by Shaun Nelson »
2006 Ducati SC1000 - School bus yellow.

Miraclebill

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
Re: Packing list
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 03:20:12 PM »
   I would debate the necessity of rain gear on all but the longest rides in the Rockies. Certainly on the eastern slopes. In the approx 8 weeks I've spent on a bike in the rockies there has been one time I needed rain gear. Philip and I were on the way back from an overnight ride to Wyoming or I would not have even carried it. Oh, that and I had lots of storage space on the Aprilia. Fo day trips we can usually ride where the rain isn't or sit out a brief shower in a tavern/eatery.
   I am amused by trip reports I read in the magazines that mention a percentage of rain days that approach 50%. I will have explored the rest of the world twice before I vist wet climates in rainy season! Yes it adds to the adventure. So did heavy drinking when riding and unprotected sex in the 70's but I'm much more cautious these days.
2004 Thruxton                                 2004 Thunderbird Sport
1972 Yamaha XS 650                        2009 Moto Guzzi Griso
2010 Bonneville T100 sidecar rig
numerous oddities

Shaun Nelson

• Peg Scraper
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 09:23:53 PM »
The rain gear was an example of things for me. Like water, and beef jerky and say, rain gear.

The idea is, if we're stuck in the rain, I'm wearing my rain gear. I didn't bring it for you, I brought it for me.  If you're battery kicks the bucket, I'll whip out the multimeter and jumper cables.

Miraclebill

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 07:41:46 AM »
Gotcha. I'll have my Cleavage Valley Oat and Honey Bars so we can mix and match our way to a balanced meal.
Believe me when I say I have an extra dose of peace of mind when I travel with you along.
At this point I believe my "Pit-stop packing list" will include an extra motorcycle. Maybe two. Perhaps John and I will bring our Thunderbird Sports in case we have to look like a Triumph club.
Bill
numerous oddities

Shaun Nelson

• Peg Scraper
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 11:42:51 AM »
Hmm, I was slightly hoping for the Aprilla. But the TBS's would sound awesome.

I might have a suggestion for some one else to bring a piece of kit. A simple tire plugging kit, with a co2 inflator.  I think everyone else has tubeless wheels, where a kit like that would work. Won't help my tubed self, but could save somebody's day.

Miraclebill

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 11:48:53 AM »
   The fate of the Aprilia lies in Eric's hands. It is unlikely to be registered and insured. Which reminds me I better check my paperwork. I am responsible for all his bad habits. Just ask his Mom.
   I had the TBS in the Canyons in 2007. It in fact did sound awesome but it was too loud. I have had no luck making baffles for it. I love the tone, not the decibel level.
numerous oddities

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Hmm, I was slightly hoping for the Aprilla. But the TBS's would sound awesome.

I might have a suggestion for some one else to bring a piece of kit. A simple tire plugging kit, with a co2 inflator.  I think everyone else has tubeless wheels, where a kit like that would work. Won't help my tubed self, but could save somebody's day.

Good idea Shaun - I have a couple of the tubeless tire kits with the CO2 cartridges, I'll pack at least one of them with my gear.
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Shaun Nelson

• Peg Scraper
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 10:43:40 AM »
After some thought, I'm adding Dielectric grease to the bag of fun. and Maybe some kind of contact cleaner?

Miraclebill

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 01:35:56 PM »
Shaun,
   Did you pick up some form of tank/tail bag or does all this go in the space the rectifier used to inhabit?
numerous oddities

Shaun Nelson

• Peg Scraper
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 02:27:39 PM »
Shaun,
   Did you pick up some form of tank/tail bag or does all this go in the space the rectifier used to inhabit?

This should all fit in the tiny in-seat storage area. The old rectifier spot is still open. Might try to cram rain gear in that spot.

I am buying a tail bag, and it's purpose in life will to carry water/gatorade/jerky. And maybe goldfish. I like Goldfish. Or combos. I was getting sick of the water dripping down my back when I had water stored in the back vent. So tail bag, and perhaps two liters of drink!

edit: blue thread locker!

Shaun Nelson

• Peg Scraper
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 03:21:27 PM »
Perhaps John and I will bring our Thunderbird Sports in case we have to look like a Triumph club.

Wait, I missed this... is the TBS back?

Shaun Nelson

• Peg Scraper
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 12:56:50 PM »
I also put a few of the no-scratch loop things under the seat. To easy with the packing.

Which is why I called Bill late on saturday to tell him about them. hehehe