Author Topic: Future Islands Fearless Performance...  (Read 710 times)

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
Future Islands Fearless Performance...
« on: March 29, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »
I record the Craig Ferguson Show every night and watch the episodes at my leisure.  Sometimes there are up to 50 episodes in the queue and I just watch them randomly.  I also set the recording to start 5 minutes early so I can catch the band at the end of the Letterman Show - 1 out of 10 are really good, and to find that one it's worth sitting through or fast forwarding through the other 9.

Well, I came across the 1 in 10 performance the other night from a band I have never heard of.  They are called Future Islands.  The techno/R&B flavored tune is basic, but the lead vocalist's performance is jaw dropping.  At first I thought it was kind of a joke, or maybe he was just hamming it up for the cameras, but by the time the B section came up I realized it was intense, honest and emotional, despite his bizarre gyrations, growls and wind ups.  I also love the contrast between the other member's stationary, almost stoic demeanor and his mesmerizing performance.  I can't stop watching it!

Dave's reaction at the end is great too, "Buddy, come on!  I'll take all of that you got!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ee4bfu_t3c

Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Capo

• Sr. Road Captain
Re: Future Islands Fearless Performance...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »
Wow. I had to watch that a few times and I'm still a bit conflicted. That growl he emits in the middle of the last verse felt like a glimpse into the mouth of Beelzebub. But catchy and with a good beat.
Triumphs
Hondas
A Norton & A Ducati
And an old Moto Morini

HarryJames

• Peg Scraper
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 05:13:37 PM »
Lol yes I had to watch it a few times as we'll... I thought he was going to need an exorcism with the rest of the band in dire need of a hand full of Amphetamines! Anyway Thanks john, very enjoyable on this rainy Saturday.
2012 Triumph Thunderbird 1600
1982 Honda CB900F Super Sport

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 06:35:28 PM »
Maybe he's from a defunct death metal band. Couldn't find a gig so he hung up his costume and cut his hair, but old habits die hard. :)

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 11:19:20 PM »
Well I've been known to take in a death metal show or two, and this guy definitely has the chops.  But I just love the way he throws it in unexpectedly at times, especially at the end.  Brilliant!
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Miraclebill

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 02:03:29 AM »
I record the Craig Ferguson Show every night and watch the episodes at my leisure.  Sometimes there are up to 50 episodes in the queue and I just watch them randomly.  I also set the recording to start 5 minutes early so I can catch the band at the end of the Letterman Show - 1 out of 10 are really good, and to find that one it's worth sitting through or fast forwarding through the other 9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ee4bfu_t3c

Hey! Did you steal that idea from me? I have been doing the 5 minute early Craigy show for years. On a good night you get two bands worth considering although Craig rarely has a band on it's always interesting. It's as if he only books the acts he likes and only when he feels like it. I could make up a multi hour playlist of songs/groups I discovered in this manner.

As a counterpoint to John's musical selection I offer this one, though I couldn't find either version from the TV shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swN1sRpXjhY

which is the only act that I caught on both Craig's show AND Letterman's. This act grabbed me for a few reasons. As a once active guitar player I find her style intriguing not just on this song but her whole album, I like singers that use their voice as an instrument, especially a brass one, and at the age of 60 I appreciate a young woman singing about the attraction she has for an older man. LOL. Hat trick.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:09:38 AM by Miraclebill »
2004 Thruxton                                 2004 Thunderbird Sport
1972 Yamaha XS 650                        2009 Moto Guzzi Griso
2010 Bonneville T100 sidecar rig
numerous oddities

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 03:32:20 PM »
I think you both stole the idea from me! Just kidding. I have also been watching Jools for years. Really amazing talent featured on his show that you would never hear of otherwise. He had Seasick Steve on years before Dave did. In fact... I've seen several acts on his show before Dave's. It's almost as if Dave watches Jools and then books the acts he likes on his show!

Capo

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 06:35:20 PM »
Jools Holland is, bar none, the best music program on TV. The most eclectic lineups and dynamic format. As for Seasick Steve, he moved to the UK in the '80's and became a star over there while virtually nobody in his native US knew him.
Triumphs
Hondas
A Norton & A Ducati
And an old Moto Morini