Author Topic: Is that a cruiser?  (Read 1449 times)

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
Is that a cruiser?
« on: January 17, 2011, 12:43:03 PM »
So, I meet Bill up at Extreme on Saturday since he's picking up the Thruxton from service.  As we're leaving, a guy who was browsing around the showroom walks up to me, waits for me to get the R1200S started, get my earplugs in and helmet on and then asks me, "Is that a cruiser?"  WTF  ???

Shaun, If i remember correctly you were once asked if your Ducati was a "road bike"?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:06:19 PM by John San »
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Shaun Nelson

• Peg Scraper
Re: Is that a cruiser?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »
Yes, the previous year in Nederland. I was asked if it was a "Road bike" and I stared at them for a good 20 seconds, trying to figure out what else it could be, when they suggested that they thought it might be a dirt bike.

In hindsight, that wasn't a horrible question, really. Besides the tires, the 2 inches of suspension travel, and it weighing 400lbs, it could be a dirt bike, and doesn't have the normal road bike plastics and look.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:10:07 PM by Shaun Nelson »
2006 Ducati SC1000 - School bus yellow.

Shaun Nelson

• Peg Scraper
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 03:12:47 PM »
I imagine that guy in the showroom was not a ridier (duh) and wanted to understand the differences between the styles, or has hear the term "cruiser" and didn't know what it meant.

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 04:18:29 PM »
I did the same thing - stared at him for a while trying to figure out if I misheard him or just didn't understand what he meant.  The thing is, he stood there while I started the bike, put in my ear plugs and put on my helmet and THEN asked me the question.  At that point I couldn't carry on a normal conversation with him if I wanted to!
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

tri-amaha

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 07:59:35 PM »
even if you could have,why bother with a chucle-head who waited till you really COULDN`T answer his question ???

Miraclebill

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 09:35:53 AM »
Yes, the previous year in Nederland. I was asked if it was a "Road bike" and I stared at them for a good 20 seconds, trying to figure out what else it could be, when they suggested that they thought it might be a dirt bike.

In hindsight, that wasn't a horrible question, really. Besides the tires, the 2 inches of suspension travel, and it weighing 400lbs, it could be a dirt bike, and doesn't have the normal road bike plastics and look.

You left out discussion of their own unique vehicle. Still have the link?
You also failed to mention that they were clearly the pot-smoking offspring of stoner hippy parents.
2004 Thruxton                                 2004 Thunderbird Sport
1972 Yamaha XS 650                        2009 Moto Guzzi Griso
2010 Bonneville T100 sidecar rig
numerous oddities

Shaun Nelson

• Peg Scraper
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
You left out discussion of their own unique vehicle. Still have the link?
You also failed to mention that they were clearly the pot-smoking offspring of stoner hippy parents.

I need to find that link, or a picture.

Of course, found it.
http://www.merrymakerscaravan.org/

with some pictures here http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2006/08/25/more-scenicruisers-full-of-hippies/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:53:13 AM by Shaun Nelson »