Author Topic: Track Tips: Going Slower To Go Faster  (Read 185 times)

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
Track Tips: Going Slower To Go Faster
« on: February 06, 2018, 07:52:38 PM »
I fall into the trap of "riding harder" to go faster at the track all the time.  It's hard to fight back back against the adrenaline rush once I get out on the track, despite my plan of focusing on one skill or corner when I'm sitting in the paddock.  Don, Terry, Kevin and I had a good conversation about this while we were taking a break from a ride a couple of weeks ago.  Taking the time to get things right at slower speeds trains your body and mind to make things like body position, gear selection, braking and vision automatic so you can free up some of your brain's processing power as your pace increases and things start to happen at faster rate.  Here's a good article along those lines:

https://tinyurl.com/yb3qsdjj
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

skis_tenfidy

• Peg Scraper
  • Time waits for no one and it won't wait for me!
Re: Track Tips: Going Slower To Go Faster
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 09:40:38 PM »
I like the golf analogy in the article and I know you guys don’t watch golf but when the pros hit driver off the tee their swing is smooth and the ball flies far. I think that smooth is fast when it comes to riding whether it’s slow or fast I think smooth is key because it means your mind is focused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 10:30:00 PM »
Totally agree.  The technique has to be correct before you can start turning it up, otherwise you'll end up off the track - just like the golfer who might hit the ball farther by muscling it off the tee but it ends up in the weeds!
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

skis_tenfidy

• Peg Scraper
  • Time waits for no one and it won't wait for me!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 10:35:44 AM »
I can stand to hit one out of ten fairways (honestly if that were the case I’d give up golf) but if that were to translate to the track I’d give up riding completely because being in the weeds on the track is not a good thing.
Anyway back to the topic of this thread when we had our track day pow wow I forgot who mentioned you can ride in 3rd gear pretty much the whole time and it got me thinking if that would be a good approach for us track day neophytes?
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don Da Loop

• Cruiser
  • Aprilia RsV4 2013. Life is Good living in the LOOP
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 06:17:41 PM »
This was an interesting article but a bit contradictory. Most of the article expresses the need to stay at 70-80% of your ability and ''to ride within yourself''. But later, concedes to the fact that in order to get through barriers you must push yourself... ?? YCRS (Yamaha Champions Riding School) stressed low speed drills and consistent riding habits. Consistent riding habits are the most important for the beginner track rider.  When you go out on the streets, and you ride with an upright ''Frankenstein Style" and do not practice trail breaking and body position you're instilling bad habits. You must remember things will get very dicey when the track pace gets hot and you're surrounded by bikes going into a turn. Your first instinct will be to revert to what you're used to. Becoming ''Frankenstein'' on the track will only get you hurt fast. I feel the best way to become a good track rider is to practice proper technique on the street whenever you ride. This will make your instincts revert to proper technique in the event of a sticky situation. Kevin, it is true that most of Thunderbolt's track on a 600 can be done in third gear except of course, the straightaway. There is a broader range used when you start riding at pace but for a start, take shifting out of the equation. I was taught that utilizing proper technique will make you a safer street rider and a faster track racer/enthusiast! I believe this is the best starting point.

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 09:40:46 PM »
I think the author's point is that it's hard, and maybe even dangerous, to work on proper technique when riding at 100% of your skill limit.  It's safer to work on those things at maybe 75% pace and once you start to master them you will actually raise the ceiling on your skill limit, so that 75 - 80% is actually at a faster pace.  He does say that there is a time and place to push harder and break through some of those barriers, but only after mastering some of those techniques, like trail braking and body position.

Kevin, yes, when I did the California school at Tbolt they had us do a session using only third gear.  I think it's a great way to free up your mind from clutch and gear selection to focus more on your lines and braking.  Like Don said, you'll have to go for 4th or 5th on the straight but that's ok because you really should get used to downshifting into turn 1.  Even if you just go up to 4th for a few laps and back off early so you just have to go down one gear and things don't come at you so fast.  Especially on that 955, you'll have plenty of torque to get you out of even the slower turn 6.

We're going to have a plan when we get back to the track this spring! 

-Valentino Rossi

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 09:37:48 PM »
Especially on that 955, you'll have plenty of torque to get you out of even the slower turn 6.

I thought he had a "tenfidy"  ::)

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 11:46:53 PM »
Especially on that 955, you'll have plenty of torque to get you out of even the slower turn 6.

Oh yeah, sorry - you're right.   I forgot Kevin has the gen 2 motor.  Even more reason to be able to launch out of turn 6 in third gear! 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

-Valentino Rossi

Xtreme Ron

• Road Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 05:26:07 PM »

Oh yeah, sorry - you're right.   I forgot Kevin has the gen 2 motor.  Even more reason to be able to launch out of turn 6 in third gear! 

Hit 50 and now you suffer from CRS?
Maybe you should talk to Doc about that ;D

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 10:38:40 PM »

Hit 50 and now you suffer from CRS?
Maybe you should talk to Doc about that ;D
Yeah well, add it to the list...

-Valentino Rossi