Author Topic: New to me gear for Track Days  (Read 163 times)

skis_tenfidy

• Peg Scraper
  • Time waits for no one and it won't wait for me!
New to me gear for Track Days
« on: February 13, 2018, 01:12:46 PM »
Dainese Laguna Seca 46/56, Knox Metasys + chest, Puma Boots 44
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=1377008&share_tid=350231&url=http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/Dainese-Laguna-Seca-46-56%2C-Knox-Metasys-%2B-chest%2C-Puma-Boots-44.350231/&share_type=t

I looked on Revzilla for the suit and it has since been discontinued but the guys said he’d take $625 for it shipped?
Good deal or hold?
Need NJRATS input! ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
Re: New to me gear for Track Days
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 06:40:13 AM »
Dainese Laguna Seca 46/56, Knox Metasys + chest, Puma Boots 44
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=1377008&share_tid=350231&url=http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/Dainese-Laguna-Seca-46-56%2C-Knox-Metasys-%2B-chest%2C-Puma-Boots-44.350231/&share_type=t

I looked on Revzilla for the suit and it has since been discontinued but the guys said he’d take $625 for it shipped?
Good deal or hold?
Need NJRATS input! ASAP

Sorry for the late reply Kevin. Looks like a good deal, just keep in mind the Dainese stuff tends to run a little tight, even for Euro standards.  But otherwise great deal!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

skis_tenfidy

• Peg Scraper
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 02:13:47 PM »

The suit arrived it is in near mint condition. There is only a small scuff on the right knee puck.
The fit is tight and to john sans point that Dianese runs a tad small.
How tight is too tight? Should you have full range of motion with your arms or is it designed for comfort in riding position only?
Comment on track suit fitment?
I should have asked this question before dropping $$. lol

Capo

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 03:51:45 PM »
Walk around in it and go sit on your bike and see how it feels. It will stretch.

Triumphs
Hondas
A Norton & A Ducati
And an old Moto Morini

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 07:24:12 PM »
Should be tight but not too restrictive when you're on the bike in riding position.  You need to have freedom of movement so you're not working against your suit to get into proper body position.  That being said, it should not be that comfortable to walk around in.  If the length is right you shouldn't be able to walk completely upright - your military training might make this difficult for you, but when walking around in the suit you'll have to be hunched over a little bit or else you will feel it pull up through your crotch.  That's normal and is why most of us pull the top down over our shoulders when walking around.  I find Dianese to be tight especially through the shoulders, so even for me I tend to have to go up a size for the right fit on the top and then it's too big from the waist down.  You have a bulkier build than me, so it might be even more of a problem for you - it will stretch a bit over time, but if it's so tight that its cutting off your circulation now it's probably not going get that much better... 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:27:56 PM by John San »
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Don Da Loop

• Cruiser
  • Aprilia RsV4 2013. Life is Good living in the LOOP
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 08:02:14 PM »
Looks great  ;) If it's a little tight with good arm lenght  and you're able to put it on yourself while still smiling - you're good.

skis_tenfidy

• Peg Scraper
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 08:12:25 PM »
So a man toe is ok?! lol

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 08:23:59 PM »
So a man toe is ok?! lol

Totally ok if you're just walking around, but you don't want that when you are tucked in coming down the straight into turn 1....
-Valentino Rossi

skis_tenfidy

• Peg Scraper
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 08:26:30 PM »
Haha that’s for sure!
Any advice on gloves for the track?

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 09:52:23 PM »
Haha that’s for sure!
Any advice on gloves for the track?

Don't skimp on gloves, if you go down your hands are going to hit at some point or another for sure and you really need them to hold up.  Fit is key as well - too tight and they will bind up, too big and the extra leather will get in the way.  Halfway through the season last year I sprung for the Heroics and really happy I did.  They looked bulky to me but when I tried them on I couldn't believe how comfortable they are and how well I can feel the controls.  All the bulk is in the protective areas and not in your way.  Don has the same pair - he crash tested them last year and I believe they are still serviceable even though they're pretty scraped up!  Definitely get a good quality pair but don't compromise on fit.  Maybe we should do an early spring run over to Revzilla soon and try on a bunch of stuff...

I've found boots to be the hardest thing for me to get right.  I've gone through two pairs of Sidis and last year a pair of TCX and still not totally comfortable...   
-Valentino Rossi

skis_tenfidy

• Peg Scraper
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 12:46:51 PM »
I put the suit back on today with the back protector but this time I put on a base layer which allowed me to get the suit on easier. I also sat on the bike and I didn’t feel restrictive so I think I’m good to go!
I’d be up for a run to revzilla for gloves and boots before the season starts just let me know.

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 03:08:08 PM »
I put the suit back on today with the back protector but this time I put on a base layer which allowed me to get the suit on easier. I also sat on the bike and I didn’t feel restrictive so I think I’m good to go!
I’d be up for a run to revzilla for gloves and boots before the season starts just let me know.

Yeah, forgot to mention that - an undersuit is key to getting in and out of that suit.  Especially at the end of the day when you're soaked in sweat. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

-Valentino Rossi

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 10:43:37 PM »
Check this out Kevin - here's a track bike for sale that looks like it's all set up and won't break the bank.  One of the guys on the Team Promotion Facebook page posted it up:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/161964867788515/
-Valentino Rossi

skis_tenfidy

• Peg Scraper
« Reply #13 on: Today at 09:13:27 AM »
I msg. The seller for more info so we’ll see. It’s in my price range!

Capo

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #14 on: Today at 01:05:01 PM »
Check this out Kevin - here's a track bike for sale that looks like it's all set up and won't break the bank.  One of the guys on the Team Promotion Facebook page posted it up:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/161964867788515/

Wow, according to the ad, it even has an automatic transmission!
Triumphs
Hondas
A Norton & A Ducati
And an old Moto Morini