Linked Events

• Sunday, 10/23 NJMP Track Day: October 23, 2016

Author Topic: Sunday, 10/23 NJMP Track Day  (Read 660 times)

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
Sunday, 10/23 NJMP Track Day
« on: October 20, 2016, 06:30:56 PM »
Signed up for a track day on Sunday - this is a TPM event partnered with Absolute Cycle Experience (ACE).   So it may be a bit crowded, but only two weeks left at NJMP.  I will be in garage 119 near the timing tower.   Also planning on next Sunday to finish out the season - Terry Two Cakes, Don are you guys in?   It will get you wound up for next year, guaranteed!
Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
Re: Sunday, 10/23 NJMP Track Day
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 11:35:59 AM »
I won't be back in nj in time for the 23rd but I will sign up for the 30th.
Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Jamhar24

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 02:52:00 PM »
Dessert trip must be great. Or are you recovering.  Anyway enjoy and have a safe trip.
LetsGoRIDDEN!!!!
2009 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys
2017 Kawasaki ZR900

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 07:17:39 PM »
I won't be back in nj in time for the 23rd but I will sign up for the 30th.
Cool. Just waiting until next week to see what the weather looks like for the 30th.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.
-Valentino Rossi

Don Da Loop

• Cruiser
  • Aprilia RsV4 2013. Life is Good living in the LOOP
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 07:14:37 PM »
Looks like rain for the 30th . :'(

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 09:40:59 PM »
If it does rain then that will be the third straight time for a washed out track day for me.
Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 10:49:37 PM »
Too early to tell.   The forecast will change a dozen times between now and then.  I'm planning on going - it's the last one at Thunderbolt until the spring.  Today was a blast!  It was my first time with ACE so they made me start in the white group and it was pretty painful - standing yellow flag and no passing!  Some of those clowns were all over the track.  Luckily a TPM coach that knows me bumped me up to red for the rest of the day, so all was good.  Next Sunday is a straight up TPM day, but I think it's a combo day that includes cars   >:(

Don, if you can make it and get the ART class out of the way this year I guarantee it will get you super-psyched for next season.  You won't have to burn your first day next year parading around the track with the newbies.

Also, for those that are interested - I talked to Mark from Markbuilt Racebikes this morning.  He will store your bike at his shop in Millville and bring it to the track any day you are there for $100 per month.  He's pretty casual about it, there's no minimum or anything he'll just do it month to month or all season - whatever you want.  This might be a good solution if you have a dedicated track bike.  I will consider it for next year.  The only downside is that going to another track would mean picking up your bike from Millville first...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:00:51 AM by John San »
-Valentino Rossi

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 11:00:15 PM »
Thanks for the info John  about Mark. Taking the bike to the track is the biggest issue for me. Once I get a dedicated track bike I will probably leave it with him for at least 3 months of the summer.
Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

Don Da Loop

• Cruiser
  • Aprilia RsV4 2013. Life is Good living in the LOOP
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 11:10:39 PM »
Weather watch for Sunday , Marks sounds like a great deal !

Capo

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 02:55:37 PM »
I'd be interested in that storage. There are also 'shade tree' garages available on site (not the condos) over by Lightning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Triumphs
Hondas
A Norton & A Ducati
And an old Moto Morini

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 07:52:14 PM »
Yes, good suggestion on the shade tree garages - I forgot about them.  I have a message in to NJMP requesting specs and pricing on those garages so we can compare the options.  If three or four of us can share one of those it may come out cheaper.  On the other hand I wouldn't mind building a relationship with Markbuilt - if we're already a customer of his he might be more responsive in the case of crash on the track.  If it can't be fixed on the spot he'd be taking back to the shop anyway and can just do the repairs.

Either way, it would make the process of getting back and forth to Millville a little easier.  Plus, I wouldn't have to upgrade to a larger trailer in order to take the Tuono down for a session or two next year.

By the way, I really feel that Triumph hit it out of the park with the Daytona.  Having the Tuono hasn't ruined it for me at all.  The 675 has enough power to have fun and even get me in trouble at the track - but it's not intimidating.  The componentry and handling are top shelf and really feel that way.  One finger on the front brake is enough to make the rear end really light coming into turn one - and probably even lift it off the ground if I get up the nerve to brake later...   Really happy with my choice for a track bike.   
-Valentino Rossi

Terry Two Cakes

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 10:32:20 AM »
I am up for sharing the garage. It would be nice to leave the bike and all the track gear down there and just jump in the car and go whenever you have time for a track day.
Versys 650 2014
Monster 796 2012

John San

• Administrator
  • Road Warrior
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 07:13:25 PM »
Ok - NJMP got back to me today.  Here's the deal: Six month shade tree garage rental is $2000 including a lock that they provide.  We can share one garage and make copies of the key.  The garage  is 15'x25' so there's plenty of room for 3 or 4 bikes.  Lighting and one 110v duplex outlet is included, it can be used for battery tenders.

If three of us share one garage we're at about the same cost as the Markbuilt service for six months.  If it's four of us it's a little cheaper.  The only issue I have is that since 90% of the track days are at Thunderbolt, it may be a slight hassle to get everything over from Lightning.  It's not really walkable, so I guess we would have stop at Thunderbolt first to drop off all our gear then drive over to Lightning and ride the bikes back.  Maintenance (mainly oil changes) might be a little bit of a hassle too.  With Markbuilt you can just call him up and ask him to change the oil before he brings it to the track.  I can go either way - I don't think there's any rush to make a decision, it seems like there are plenty of garages available over there.

On another note, the weather forecast for Sunday is improving.  I may just sign up and roll the dice - it's the last chance for this year and I'd be heartbroken if the weather was great and they closed out the day before I got a chance to sign up.  They closed the red group last Sunday because they had 50 riders, luckily me and a guy on a Superduke were the last two to get in.  I'm seriously hooked...
-Valentino Rossi

Capo

• Sr. Road Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 09:23:14 PM »
I'm in LA this weekend, and while I'll be ripping around the Crest, I'd have liked to squeeze in a track day this season. Oh, well, I'll do a school out West this winter.

As for the garage vs Markbuilt, I can see the benefit of arrive and ride with him versus the garage, and it might be nice to try it out, but I'd be cool with either solution. We should hash it out over the next month or so. I won't have the Daytona shipped here for another few weeks or so.
Triumphs
Hondas
A Norton & A Ducati
And an old Moto Morini